Saturday, June 14, 2008

#15---NYA @ ATL, 10/23/1999 (World Series Game 1)

I intend to go through at least one scoresheet from each year until I get to the present day. Then I will just start picking out sheets from my collection. So, here is the example sheet for 1999.

Any World Series game is historically relevant, but as far as they go, this was not special. The first game of the Yankees second consecutive sweep, it matched Orlando Hernandez against Greg Maddux. Chipper Jones went deep for the Braves in the fourth to give them the lead, and through seven Maddux made that one run hold up, allowing just three hits and two walks while fanning five on just 85 pitches. It all fell apart in the eighth with a single, walk, error, and single plating a run. Paul O’Neill greeted John Rocker with a single, and the Yankees would add another run. Atlanta brought the tying run to the plate with one out in the ninth, but Rivera struck out Brian Jordan and got Brian Hunter to foul out for the save.

You can see that I had now started recording the final score of the game--a long overdue piece of information. I also kept inning-by-inning pitch counts for the starters, with their total pitches recorded when pulled (for example, Maddux made 11 pitches in the eighth for a total of 96).

I have no clue why was I compelled to write down who sung the national anthem, but it was some woman named Monica, apparently.

No comments: