Monday, September 22, 2008

#28---CIN @ MIL, 4/10/2008

Here is a fairly mundane, early season 4-1 Reds victory that I scored off a radio broadcast (Jeff Brantley is no better than he was in 2007, I’m sorry to report) using a sheet with dots representing the four corners of the diamond. This is a way to use the diamond style of scoring without having to write over the diamonds. The dots are small and fairly light and serve as a guide for tracing the diamond out as necessary. Of course, you could always just draw the sides of the diamond yourself as the situation requires, but for some of us, this would result in the ugliest looking scoresheet in history (I have zero artistic ability, even to draw equal-sided diamonds).

Personally, I prefer just using a box and using the four corners of the box to represent the bases. The only time I use diamonds is when I attend an OSU game live (only because I wanted to use a scorebook for that rather than just loose sheets, and it’s darn hard to find a cheap scorebook that does not have diamonds), or when I have the occasion to score for a slow-pitch softball team (since no one cares about keeping the stats, the action moves fast, and there are dozens of baserunners per game, it is a lot easier to just follow runners’ progress by tracing the diamond). Some people swear by them, though, and that’s just as well.

No comments: