Tuesday, November 25, 2008

#37---KC @ CLE, 9/20/2001


This sheet is included here as an example of how not to keep score. You can’t see it from the scan, but in the sixth inning I switched to scoring in pen. I don’t know why I did this, particularly in the middle of a game, but I did.

There are some people who swear by scoring with ink. If you can pull it off, more power to you, but for me, it’s a disaster. I am too impatient, as I want to write down everything as soon as it happens instead of taking a second to make sure the pitch was actually a ball, or to wait for the official scorer’s ruling. Raul Ibanez’ double in the seventh inning illustrates why pencil is imperative for me.

I don’t know what on earth I was thinking when I wrote down “15” for Alomar’s at bat in the first. A pitcher to third putout of a batter-runner would be worth explaining in more detail. In fact, it was a lineout to third, so it should have been “L5”. So there’s another tip if you are incompetent like me: avoid lower case letters that might be confused for numerals.

No comments: