Monday, April 18, 2016

#101---CLE @ KC, 3/16/1997

For this spring training game, I was once again using a pre-printed form with the multiple choice quiz, but at least I was tracing the diamond and not being ridiculously excessive in my notation.

This is the second straight game I’ve posted in which Albie Lopez started for Cleveland; apparently I had the misfortune of choosing to disproportionately score his games. It’s a spring training game so there isn’t that much of note here, but I enjoy seeing Mike Sweeney batting eighth and catching for Kansas City, as well as the appearance of Trenidad Hubbard, who at least in my memory was scorching at the plate during spring training 1997. I believe I took to calling him the “Immortal Trenidad Hubbard” during this time in homage to the Immortal Joe Azcue. I should go to the storage locker and dig out old Baseball Weekly copies to verify. Hubbard would get into seven regular season games for the Indians. He had a weird career, making his major league debut at age 30 in 1994, then appearing in every major league season through 2003. His career OPS+ was 86 in 864 PA, but he was a  legitimately good bench piece for the Dodgers at age 34 in 1998, with a 116 OPS+ in 235 PA.

No comments: