Tuesday, February 8, 2022

#233---PHI @ NYA, 8/5/2020


 

This was the first game of a doubleheader, so in 2020 that meant it was scheduled for seven innings. The Phillies used big innings in the fourth and sixth to take command, but the bullpen troubles that vexed them for the “whole” season reared their head in the seventh, eventually forcing nominal closer Hector Neris into the game with the tying run on deck. He got Miguel Andujar to fly to deep right-center on the first pitch.

One change to my scoring that is visible here is that I ceased circling the numbers of the lineup position that caused baserunners to advance (if it resulted in a runner scoring, it is still boxed). This reduces clutter on the scoresheet, although for the first week I needed to keep my eraser handy as it took some re-programming after 22 seasons of circling. The original idea behind circling was that it would distinguish the use of, say, “4” for the cleanup hitter from the use of “4” for the second baseman. However, it finally dawned on me after all this time that I would never have cause to refer just to “4” to describe what happened to a runner. A plain “4” could be a popup to second for the batter, but if a runner was putout at second by the second baseman, there would always have to be some kind of modifier, like “FC4” or “DP4” – the notation under my system would never just be “4”. So the use of the circle was unnecessary, although when I first started using this system in 1998 I did have some unmodified outs; I just saw an example where I used “74” for a batter-runner thrown out at second trying for a double. I would now mark that as “OS74”.

No comments: