Tuesday, May 17, 2022

#247---LA @ CLE, 3/18/2007

 

I loved Herb Score as a broadcaster, but his scorecard is another story. “Herb Score Scorebooks” were sold during his last season behind the microphone (1997), and this is an example I used to score a spring training game a decade later (with some edits I made to remove superfluous lines like a place to write in the standings). I understand why broadcasters would want a scorecard with the field diagram, and I myself find them very helpful for spring training games when substitutes enter en masse and you need to write them somewhere before sorting out where they fall in the batting order. I’m a big fan of having both teams on the same side of a scoresheet, but forcing them to be side-by-side results in boxes that are taller than they are wide, which I find make it very difficult to record anywhere near the amount of information I want. 

Last year I was at a Tribe game and a 90+ year old woman was featured on the scoreboard for her birthday. She was keeping score, as we were told she always does - in her Herb Score Scorebook.

No comments: