Saturday, March 22, 2008

#3---BOS @ CLE, 4/19/1996

As mentioned last week, during the early days of the 1996 season, I alternated between using leftover softball scoresheets and loose-leaf, cross-style scoring. Apparently, as the season went on I stopped keeping score, because I don’t have many surviving scoresheets past May, and it’s doubtful I threw them out at any point.

For these games, I used a lineup page with line score similar to the one shown in post #1, so I will not reproduce one of those here. I have only posted the six full innings here, as the end of the game was unremarkable and the scoring system the same in this 9-4 Cleveland win.

Again, the need to write out the name of the batter and pitcher for each confrontation makes this method of scoring tedious. I also have no idea why I drew a cross for each batter instead of only doing that once a runner reached base--it would have reduced clutter and made outs easier to pick out.

The evolution on display here though from my earlier sheets is that runner advancement is marked by using the lineup position of the batter who caused it. For instance, looking at the top of the first, Dwayne Hosey drew a walk and stole second. He was then advanced to third by the actions of the #2 hitter (John Valentin grounded to short), and scored on the actions of the #3 hitter (Mo Vaughn hit a sac fly to left, with the “X” again serving as the RBI marker).

No comments: