Sunday, February 21, 2016

#93---TEX @ SEA, 3/17/2010

The scoresheet used here is one that I use for Spring Training games almost exclusively. The diagram of the field allows for a convenient way to record defensive replacements even when you’re not exactly sure where they will be placed in the lineup. In my early scorekeeping days I assumed all substitutions were straight-up, and erased as necessary later. Some managers seemed to make it their personal mission to thwart scorekeepers using that approach by never batting their new third baseman where their departing third basemen hit.

Then I moved on to keeping a separate piece of paper to write down defensive changes, then entering the players into the lineup as they came to the plate. This is a good system, although it involves another piece of paper, and one I still use for the All-Star Game. But if I’m not keeping a pitch-by-pitch record of the game (and even a nut like I usually don’t for spring training), the diagram is handy.

The other different thing about this scoresheet is that in this case, since the scoreboxes are much smaller than I’m accustomed to, I used a hit location scoring system inspired by LL Bean’s scoring system to save space. Thus Julio Borbon’s leadoff single was a flyball single to left; Nelson Cruz’ second inning single a groundball single to center; and Vladimir Guerrero’s fifth inning single a line drive to left.

This must have been one of the last times I watched my first (and fairly brief) childhood baseball idol play. Ken Griffey grounded to first, popped to third, flew to center, and struck out. I was right to dump him for Barry Bonds by late 1995.

No comments: