Tuesday, February 16, 2021

#182---CLE @ CHA, 5/26/1997




I was really excited about this Memorial Day game, which was the first meeting between the Indians and White Sox in 1997, which meant it was the first time Albert Belle played against his former team. I wrote “BONG, BONG, BONG” on the top of the sheet which now would make me think that Bill Lee was showing up rather than Albert Belle, but oh well. I actually distinctly remember listening to the game on the radio in my parents car, although I don’t remember where we were going or explicitly remember keeping score while doing so, but I was.

Belle was 1-4, with an eighth inning single; the two players batting in front of him, Mike Cameron and Frank Thomas, hit back-to-back homers off Orel Hershiser in the first inning to tie the game, but the Indians put up a six-spot in the second and went on to win 10-4. Despite having allowed eight runs through two innings, Jaime Navarro was kept in to pitch seven (allowing a seventh run in that frame). I didn’t keep a pitch count here, but he made 117 pitches in this effort, which simply would not happen today.

I was confused by my notation for Alomar in the eighth, showing that he singled off reliever Matt Karchner, but then moved up to second on “P”, to third on “9” and scored on “P”. I know I was using one letter abbreviations when possible at this time, so “P” means passed ball, but the “9” would have meant the advancement occurred due to the #9 hitter’s at bat, which doesn’t make sense since Vizquel walked and Alomar was apparently already at second on the passed ball. B-R confirms this was an errant symbol; Alomar advanced to third on “1”, the fielder’s choice that Marquis Grissom hit into following Vizquel, then scored on a subsequent passed ball. So there were in fact two passed balls by  Jorge Fabregas in the inning; Fabregas had just come on as a pinch-hitter for Tony Pena in the seventh.

No comments: