Saturday, April 12, 2008

#6---CLE @ OAK, 4/2/1997

It was Opening Day 1997 and I had a new scoresheet to try out. I made it myself in Excel. Unfortunately, I had no idea of how useful Excel could be as a scoresheet-making tool (now, I make all of my scoresheets in Excel). I did not take advantage of changing row heights or column widths or drawing borders; I didn’t even figure out how to make a row without any text below it print, leaving the ninth place hitter for the home team with half a scorebox. Writing out the lineup slots as "1st", "2nd", etc. seems to be overkill in retrospect.

So the sheet was very bare, and as I was scoring I had to mentally take note of where the borders of the scoreboxes should be. I do like some of what I was doing as far as actually scoring goes. Marking pitching changes with a symbol for the new pitcher in the box of the first batter was a lot better than writing his name at the bottom of the box. The boxes left enough room to comfortably record the basic details, and I was firmly entrenched in using the lineup position of the batter to record baserunner advancement. The 9-7 Cleveland victory scored here was marked by a fast Cleveland start (4 runs in the 1st), a 3 run Oakland fifth to tie it up, and homers by David Justice (along with Grissom making his Indian debut after being traded for Kenny Lofton and Alan Embree) and Jim Thome to put the Tribe ahead for good; it featured the major league debut of one of my favorite players, Steve Kline (I met him at a Canton-Akron Indians team banquet).

No comments: