Saturday, April 26, 2008

#8---CLE @ STL, 6/14/1997

During 1997, I also kept score of some games in a commercial scorebook. The one I used was made by What’s the Score, which quickly became my favorite commercial scorebook and still is. I use a WTS scorebook when I go to OSU baseball games to this day, although I never use it for major league games. The diamond is clean, with no outfield outline, no multiple choice quiz, and most importantly, no numbers printed willy-nilly all over the place. The drawback is that it is a 16 batting position book, which is utterly useless for baseball (they also have a model with 11, but it is not sold at my local retailer). The system I was using here was the one closest to what I use today among the scoresheets I’ve posted so far (except for the use of a diamond rather than a blank box), but I wouldn’t endorse it by any means.

The game here was more interesting than the final score of 8-3 would indicate; the Cardinals led 3-0 going into the seventh, but the Indians tied it that frame and won it with five in the eighth. It was also the first season of interleague play, and thanks to a Friday rainout, this was the first game of a doubleheader and the first ever meeting between the Tribe and Redbirds.

No comments: