Saturday, May 3, 2008

#9---CLE @ FLA, 10/26/1997 (World Series Game 7)

In 1997, I also scored some games on a ridiculous scoresheet I made, inspired by Project Scoresheet’s use of numbered scoreboxes rather than a 9x9 grid. Everything else about the system was traditional.

The scoresheet itself had a silly design. I chuckle at the “SCORESHEET” label on the top; was I afraid I would forget what it was for? The boxes were ridiculously wide, and I didn’t take advantage of that in any way. While the numbered boxes are similar to PS, each batter’s at bats are not grouped together, so you have to add nine and go hunting (the #3 hitter is in box 3, 12, 21, etc.). I did not help matters by drawing dark circles over the numbers of boxes that resulted in outs. The benefit of the system (like that of PS) is that substitutions are very easy to mark. For some reason, I felt compelled to use this sheet to score all of the playoff games that I watched.

As for the game, there’s not much I can say. I was devastated at the time, and it took me a week to have the heart to mark Renteria’s single. I never got around to labeling the Florida eleventh inning.

No comments: